Friday, October 12, 2007

Coming Home

I'm typically not one to use song lyrics in my posts but I heard this during the ride to Delaware and felt that it deserved inclusion:
Home
Chris Daughtry

I'm staring out into the night,
Trying to hide the pain.
I'm going to the place where love
And feeling good don't ever cost a thing.
And the pain you feel's a different kind of pain.

I'm going home,
Back to the place where I belong,
And where your love has always been enough for me.
I'm not running from,
No, I think you got me all wrong.
I don't regret this life I chose for me.
But these places and these faces are getting old,
So I'm going home.
Well I'm going home.

The miles are getting longer, it seems,
The closer I get to you.
I've not always been the best man or friend for you.
But your love remain true and I don't know why.
You always seem to give me another try.

So I'm going home,
Back to the place where I belong,
And where your love has always been enough for me.
I'm not running from,
No, I think you got me all wrong.
I don't regret this life I chose for me.
But these places and these faces are getting old,
So I'm going home.
I'm going home.

Be careful what you wish for,
'Cause you just might get it all.
You just might get it all,
And then some you don't want.
Be careful what you wish for,
'Cause you just might get it all.
You just might get it all, yeah.

BV's Homecoming was this weekend and while my Homecoming experience wasn't quite as emotional as it could have been (considering I've been to five other BV games this year) I was still very glad to be there. I've been wrestling with a certain amount of uneasiness about leaving campus on the weekends but I think I've pinned down an answer. One of the reasons I chose CCAD was because it was close to home; otherwise, why not Pittsburgh or Cleveland or Cincinnati? When your college is less than an hour from your hometown, why shouldn't you take advantage of the opportunity to see your friends, your family and sleep in your own bed? Sure, sure, some will argue that I'm not getting the real 'college experience,' and to that I say, fine. I'll live.

I live on campus Monday through Friday. I know what goes on. It's all fine-and-dandy, but I am the kind of person who needs an escape, downtime, quiet (not-to-mention something to look forward to each week). And so, I spend the weekends at home. This is not to say that I will always go home. As a matter of fact, the one weekend out the entire year that I would like to share with my BV friends (the weekend of Casey's, Anna's, Heidi's, Lee's, Davy's, Mark's, Zandra's, Emily's, Anita's and all the other's Senior Show) will be spent in Columbus, away from everyone. I am not happy. I wish there was some way I could change things.

Tonight, however, was a very happy night. I marched halftime, this time as a part of the BVHS Alumni Band it what was the last BV football game I will see this year. It's a a strange feeling being on the inside of the 'B', if you know what I mean. As always, it was great to get to talk with everyone and it was greater to be able to play in the stands again. I miss it so much. Nichole and Nathan came home from Bowling Green, Madeline from Baldwin-Wallace and Tawni from Mount Vernon Nazarene (Carie and Megan basically walked from OWU). It was so good to see them too. Something about being with 'the old crowd' makes everything (even the Everest-sized heap of homework waiting to be done) seem okay. Several notable people were, sadly, not there tonight, the first of which is Melissa. Going to school ten hours away from Ohio makes coming home a near impossibility but we all miss her and can't wait to see her home for Christmas, if not sooner. Homer and Helen were both at school because of big games the next day (football and soccer, respectively) and Davy is recovering from knee surgery and will, regrettably, be out-of-commission for the rest of marching season.

After the game (which BV won, by the way), we went to Pizza Hut and partook in the now-customary, post-game revelry. It is good to know that tradition has not died and that these happy memories will still made, even after we've all graduated. And as for tradition, the next time the 'B' revolves, Anna, Carie, Casey, David, Davy, Emily, Heidi, Lee, Madeline, Mark, Megan, Melissa, Nathan, Nichole, Tawni, Zandra and I may just be marching, side-by-side, in the center.

No comments: