Saturday, May 31, 2008

Graduation

Tonight was the Commencement ceremony for the Class of 2008. First of all, I have a hard time wrapping my brain around the fact that it's been a year since I was on that stage, in those robes, in their shoes. The past year has been one of many ups and downs and while the days sometimes seem to trudge on in the slow procession toward the End, when compacted, they seem to encompass no time at all. In short, time flies.

Today was a beautiful day: the perfect day for a Graduation ceremony. It wasn't nearly as hot as the 89-degree scorcher we had to endure one year ago. A light breeze kept the air in the auditorium circulating as the speeches were given and the the diplomas dispersed. The feeling of seeing your friends, these people who you have come to know and love so deeply taking this huge step in their lives, walking the same path that you walked, is a strange feeling. It seems to me like a very delayed reaction. Like I am witnessing an event that should have already happened, from a different point of view, on a different date. For me, Graduation means reflection on all the events that brought us where we are today. None of us are the same as when we started...

Heidi was the one I knew first. She and I rode the same bus to and from Buckeye Valley East. I first came to know her as the girl who rode my bus and hated me. In those days, we were both a little too outspoken and rubbed one another the wrong way, I guess. Her brother once threatened to break my glasses which didn't help in the cementing of our close relationship. For a few years, I was convinced that we would never get along and that was that. But, like all things, people change with time. High school brought us together through band. The long bus rides to and from away games opened up a side to her I'd never had the chance to see. It's amazing how much you can learn about (and from) someone by simply opening your ears and listening to what they have to say. Over the years, we've become closer and closer and today I consider her one of my good friends. Good thing the desire to break glasses isn't genetic.


Davey was second, although he was David then. He and I go way back, sometimes a little further than I'd like to admit. Both pupils anointed by the fonts of knowledge maintained within the glittering halls of Buckeye Valleys North and East, our paths ran parallel for some time until, in 1998, he and I wound up as teammates for a Destination Imagination competition. Yes, we were that cool. Our skit told the tale of one Timmy Tomato, portrayed flawlessly by Mr. Hyer who was bestowed the role of the fearless fruit because of his persistently rosy complexion. While the acting was, of course, top notch, the rest of our skit fell short in many ways as we didn't even rank that year. Oh well. On to bigger and better arenas. In high school and during band, I was able to get to know this hell-bent enigma on a more personal level. He and I became close through no notable series of events, it just sort of happened, as many of the best friendships do.

Lee was the quintessential Cub Scout. Back in the days of old when I was a shrimpy little Scout myself, Lee was always at the head of the pack: tying knots, baking cakes, selling popcorn, everything a good Cub Scout should be doing. If I remember correctly, we were both members of the Mighty Pack 94 and often ran into one another during the many Scouting social events. If Lee was anything, he was helpful. He was always there to point others in the right direction, a job that serves him well considering he has one of the most accurate moral compasses I've ever seen. As with Heidi and Davey, I got to know Lee better through band and in student council in high school. As always, he was the epitome of chivalry, the master at opening doors and laying jackets over mud puddles and, just as I had remembered, he was always ready at a moment's notice should adventure or the stray shenanigan come to call. To this day, few people have matched the personal values of Mr. Zimmer and I find it hard to believe many ever will.

For me, Anna was always "Helen's sister". I'd seen her here and there at Buckeye Valley North but never really took the opportunity to get to know her, a folly I regret considering Anna is perhaps the most high-spirited, uplifting soul ever to come from the Honorable village of Radnor. Band brought us together and Florida brought us close. She was right there with us as we headed off to the wrong park in Universal Studios. My first impression of Anna was being struck by her talent at music. As a freshman, she could far outplay many of the upperclassmen trumpeters. I remember noticing how she held her instrument straight and played with confidence, even as a freshman. That kind of musical mettle is hard to come by especially in the beginning. Throughout high school I had the pleasure of playing alongside Anna in the marching band, and the symphonic band, and concert band, and pep band, and pit band and the Visions combo. Music radiates from her personality and lifts the spirits of those who allow themselves to listen, an enviable trait by any means.

Last is Casey. I find it ironic that the person I most connect with, the one with whom I share so many interests and whose company I most enjoy is the one I've known the least amount of time. Casey is a rare breed. His often reserved personality is speckled with eccentricities which, coupled with his wry sense of humor, make him a generally fun guy to be around. As a freshman, I referred to him as "Army boy" due largely in part to the combat boots, camouflage pants and Under Armor he would wear on a regular basis. Case is tough. He's willing to run like no tomorrow to uphold his unalienable right to chew gum. He'll gladly scale any building to retrieve a lost Frisbee and he makes a conscious effort to carry (at once and at a minimum) three times as many chairs to and from the pep band alcove as anybody else. In the few years I've had to get to know him, though, I've learned that tough-as-nails Casey has the same fears, the same vulnerabilities and the same faults as any of us. What's remarkable is that, not matter what's going on beneath the surface, Casey will always put everyone else's needs before his own. Such selflessness is the rarest of commodities these days. Unfortunately I had to fulfill an annoying obligation called college just as I was getting to know Casey but I'm hopeful that we'll be able to pick up where we left off nearly 365 days ago in the midst of a great, lasting friendship.

I'm not sure if the graduates (we can't call them Seniors anymore) know just what's waiting for them as they head off to college, I know I was barely ready for what laid in store for me, but I am certain beyond a shadow of a doubt that they will do wonders wherever they go. This caliber of friend is rare and I know I am blessed to have the honor of calling such people my best friends.

Best of luck Heidi, Davey, Lee, Anna, Casey and the rest of the Class of 2008.
If you ever want to catch up, you know where to find me.



EDIT: This song came through my Shuffle just as I published this post. Coincidence? I think not.

No comments: