Monday, September 3, 2007

Reckless Reminiscing

According to the calendar, I have been in school now for over a week. In that period of seven days, a lot has happened and a lot hasn't. I have made quite a few friends and I will be glad to have them by my side in the next weeks and months. I have started to dig out my place in the world, filling my space with as many memories of home as will fit. My classes are great. It is a good feeling to be doing what you love each night for homework: no equations, no critical analysis. I am happy school. Each day is brighter than the next and the future glints vaguely ahead. I don't know where I am going, I just know I'm on my way.

I went home this weekend. Friday night was Buckeye Valley's first home game. I'm not sure what it is but something about the atmosphere of a football game brings me home to place where I could stay forever. Surrounded by familiar faces, smiles, laughter, I am at peace with myself, with the world. Sounds nice, huh?

That's probably a little over-dramatic, but I do love it. I was never one of those people who hated high school. Quite the opposite, really. I loved high school. I liked the intense sense of community, of knowing everyone you passed in the hallway. I loved knowing all the teachers, what they liked, what they didn't. I liked pep rallies. That's right, I said it. I liked what they stood for, a unquestioned sense of pride, of shared excitement and spirit; it's too bad only three other people shared that sentiment. I liked being able to make a difference, to share an idea and see it come to fruition a few weeks later. I liked having a purpose, not to say I don't have purpose now, I'm just not sure what it is at this point.

Before long, the tide will begin to turn. I will work my way into this new and different community. I will get to know my teachers, what they like, what they don't. There are no sports at CCAD and therefore no pep rallies but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be school spirit. Maybe that could become my purpose here. Maybe I could work, like I did at BV, to bolster student pride, share my ideas and see them come to fruition. Maybe, someday.

Until then, I make my way to class each day, head down, homework done. I make my way back, check my phone, my Facebook, IM and email in hopes that someone has left some kind of message. Be the one to brighten my day, leave me something. Thanks.

Miss you all. Stay in touch. See you later.

No comments: