Friday, August 24, 2007

Thirteen - Seven

BV played their first game of the season tonight against Galion. First of all, I propose that Mike Goebel personally pay for the tank of gas it took to drive to GHS. It's his fault, after all, that BV no longer plays Hayes at the beginning of each season (but that will all change, soon). It was hot, ninety-three degrees at kickoff. By the time dad and I found a parking spot, BV had already scored. It was an odd feeling to hear the fight-song from afar, but it sounded good and I was happy.

For the first game of the season and fresh from a brutally hot two weeks at camp, the band sounded great. Three sousaphones and something like five trombones can work wonders for a band their size. I was pleasantly surprised at how many fellow graduates I saw sitting in the stands and at how warmly I was welcomed. Mattea is doing great as Field Commandress (I like that term) and it seems as though the rest of the band thinks so to. I feel like a proud parent. It was great to see Casey, Anna, Heidi, Davey and Lee one last time before the move. We sat through the second half together "watching the game" and coaxing one of the field lights to catch fire (it did send sparks raining down onto Galion's band, after which they moved seats). I also had a laugh with Zandra, Emily and Anita about Kirby apparently "liking your mama." You had to be there. I lamented the loss of all the "Pirates" music I had arranged and saved on my now-dead computer with Mick. He's a great kid and really talented. I also had the rare chance of seeing a wizard's duel behind the concession stands during which Emily Expeliarmused Davey even after having just been AK'd by him. You had to be there for that too.

The game was delayed for about forty-five minutes do to the looming threat of storms that never came. I was glad, it was a prime opportunity for some last-minute banter amongst friends. BV won, by the way, thirteen - seven. Go Barons.

Unfortunately the evening ended on a less-than-happy note. Andrew was taken to Marion Hospital after passing out on the bus ride home. He had evidently been given permission to march but the strain and lack of water had proven too much. As much as he can annoy me at times, I do hope he's okay and that he realizes his health and safety should come first. The bus pulled into the high school at 12:30-something and everyone piled off. The goodbyes were as strained and as awkward as usual but the facts are beginning to sink in: Today's the day.

My next post will be from the campus of the Columbus College of Art & Design...God help me.
Miss you all. Stay in touch. See you soon.

No comments: